Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Runnin' On Sunshine

Sweat Hard

Yesterday was the weekly long run of my aforementioned half marathon training spreadsheet.  (If you put anything into spreadsheet form, it becomes instantly and exponentially more beautiful.)  Due to a series of happy circumstances, the run took place out of doors in the gorgeous weather instead of indoors in the sweaty gym.

It's amazing how delightfully distracting I find people-watching while running...all the jogging moms pushing strollers, all the dogs and puppies and dogs-acting-like-puppies, all the folks out getting some excercise while enjoying friends or blissful solitude.  I was scheduled for an hour long run...which in my case is roughly 6 miles if I am pushing it...which I did. 

To entertain myself if people-watching wears thin, I often count while running.  Apparently my husband does the same, and it turns out that we both count every fourth step.  Soul mates.

I followed up the run with some stretching, and this strength training routine from Runners World: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--13823-3-1X2X3-4,00.html.  It's amazing how much fun it can be to do pushups in the grass.


Think Smart

Lately I have been reading through the Psalms in the mornings, and have been struck by the emphasis on interpreting God's actions through what is already understood of His character, rather than the other way around.  The focus is on praise, but not simply praising God for answering prayer.  Rather, God is continually praised for His goodness, faithfulness, and righteousness, and then supplicated to move in a certain way through the author's circumstance. 

I've always enjoyed the Psalms, but had not really focused much on the theology of the Psalms until I started listening to a book by C.S. Lewis: Reflections on the Psalms. http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-Psalms-Harvest-Book-Lewis/dp/015676248X. His honesty is refreshing, and his style is (as always) thoroughly engaging.  Reflections makes some thought-provoking observations about justice and other themes without being overly technical.  I'd highly recommend giving it a read.


Today is a day off from training...but not from work.  A domani!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!