Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Happy Birthday/CrossFit Games 2012

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear little blooooooggggggg!  Happy birthday toooo yoouuuu!!!


This week, TheMeghaMix turned one.


Thanks to all my readers for your interest, comments, and support.  "You...are...my biggest fan."


For those of you who are just joining us...my name is Meghan.  I have a great husband (Jared)and a desk job...and I spend my free time mixing all kinds of workouts...including a recent self-defense/karate stint.  Currently I keep busy with Crossfit (2-3x per week), racquetball (1-2x per week) running (2-3x per week), and glorious hot yoga (2-3x per week).  I eat a mostly "clean" diet which includes at least one square of uber-dark chocolate today.  I love encouraging people to find the healthy, fit lifestyle that's enjoyable and sustainable for them.


Me and my fave running buddy
Right now, we are in the middle of the 2012 CrossFit Open!  I am still not entirely sure how I got sucked into it...Jared had been planning on it for months, and he's a champ: competitive, strong, and fast.  I am not highly competitve and I'd never RX'ed at CrossFit before.  I tend to do well at things like hot yoga because I'm flexible and detail oriented, where Jared excels at Crossfit because, as I mentioned...he's strong and fast:


Elastigirl

Mr. Incredible

But the first WOD of the games was burpees.  I'm a sucker for burpees cause (shhh!) I really like pushups.  Weirdly enough, I got stoked about pushups through a summerstock-type musical early in college.  Our director said, "I am too busy to go to the gym this summer...so you guys are my workout," and would have us do as much as 50 pushups in a row.

Burpees are to me glorified pushups.  And with a little encouragement from the hubby and our CrossFit coach...I took the plunge and registered for the 2012 CrossFit Games competition.

Here are some photos from our first Open Wod!  WOD 1 was as many burpees as possible in 7 minutes.  You had to touch something 6 inches higher than your standing reach for the rep to count.  I got 73!!!




On me: headband, tank, pants - lululemon;
sports bra - Victoria's Secret;
shoes - New Balance

Our coach had us judge each other...which didn't go so well on WOD 1.  It was a good spouse challenge, though.  We realized we needed to communicate clearly beforehand about our expectations and how we would help each other most effectively...which applies pretty much to any aspect of marriage, huh?

On Jared: tee, shorts - lululemon;
compression leg warmers - Sports Authority;
shoes - Nike



Due in part to some miscommunication between us...Jared felt like he could've gotten a better score.  So we went out to Stoneway Crossfit on Saturday morning so he could retest.  This time, one of our coaches judged his reps, so I could just worry about cheering him on!

He did even better than his score the day before!  109 burpees...this dude is a beast.


Post-WOD 1 retest
The following week, we tackled WOD 2!  We didn't get to test together since Jared was out of town.  We go to Crossfit as a team when we can...



...but that isn't always possible.  Jared tested the night before he left, then retested at a box in Colorado to bump up his score (yet again).  Here's the official notes for WOD 2:

Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:
30 Snatch (M 75 / F 45 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 135 / F 75 lbs)
30 Snatch (M 165 / F 100 lbs)
Max Rep Snatch (M 210 / F 120 lbs)

This workout begins from the standing position. The athlete will complete all reps at the first weight before advancing to the next weight. Score is total reps completed in 10min.

I made it through 30 snatches at 45lbs, and tried to get a few at 75lbs, but it wasn't happening for me.  So I had an official score of 30, and then cranked out 18 more reps at 55lbs. 

Last Friday found us at WOD 3...this means we're already halfway through the Open!  Official description:

Complete as many rounds and reps as possible in 18 minutes of:
15 Box jumps (M 24" box / F 20" box)
12 Push press (M 115 lb / F 75 lb)
9 Toes-to-bar


You are allowed to count individual reps instead of just completed rounds.  My official score was 15, since I had to scale the weight for the push press...but I was stoked because I did 20" box jumps and toes-to-bar for the first time since starting Crossfit in the fall!  I dropped the weight to (if memory serves) 55lbs.  I completed 3 rounds, another set of box jumps, and 5 of the push presses (which could be done as push jerks) before the time was up.

Jared and I judged each other on WOD 3, and our communication and teamwork improved a ton since WOD 1.  Go team!

They will be announcing WOD 4 tomorrow evening.  I'll be sure to keep you posted on how we do...hopefully I'll remember to officially record my score this time.  (I forgot with WOD 3.  Oops.)

You tell me:  Are you competing in the 2012 CrossFit Games?  Any scores or milestones so far you are particularly proud of? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!