Tuesday, August 23, 2011

More Personal Training/30 for 30 for 30, Continued

30 for 30 for 30: Day 4 (back and biceps)

I had such great time at my first session that I returned the next morning (after a 45 minute training run) for back and biceps Thursday!

Headband - lululemon, tee - Nike,
turquoise high impact sports bra - Nike,
jacket - lululemon, pants - Old Navy,
Nike Frees and Nike socks
I was pretty warmed up from my run, so we went straight into the strength-training segment.

First, Jared had me doing band assisted pull-ups.  I have a goal of doing one unassisted pull-up by the end of 2011.  I learned something new from Jared: the weight-assisted pull-up machine is not as effective a means of building up to "real" pull-ups (insert joke about big-girl panties here).  Bands are better than the weights because they more closely simulate the movement used in un-assisted pull-ups, particularly in how they utilize your core.  And hey, anytime you can incorporate core work into your other moves, go for it!  We did 4 sets of "as many as you can."  Turns out, my form on this stuff is pretty poor, too.  I do this weird scrunching up of my right shoulder to force through the move.  We decided for now I should use more assistance and focus on getting my form down pat.  This will help me ward off injury and ultimately build strength for when I'm an unassisted pull-up champ.

Next we tackled a circuit of 4 excercises (3 sets of this circuit, resting briefly between sets):
  • Short bar/barbell row (8-12 reps of 50-60 lbs, focusing on keeping abs solid to protect lower back, palms facing up)
  • Kettlebell snatch or clean?  Not sure exactly what this one is called...(8-12 reps of 22 lbs)
  • Bent-over Y raise (8-12 reps of 5 lbs)
  • T raise - like the Y raise, but arms go straight out to the sides, hand position is different: at the high point of the raise, pinkies are nearest ceiling, thumbs pointing down (8-12 reps of 5 lbs)
Then, we finished up with a circuit of 2 excercises (2 sets of this circuit, resting briefly between sets):
  • Seated cable face pull - didn't see a seated version, but you get the idea (15 reps of about 20 lbs)
  • Twenty-ones (fancy-pants alternating bicep curls) - this one was crazy.  Hold weights in front of you, palms facing up, forearms parallel to the floor.
    • Keep left arm at the 90 degree angle.  Lower right arm till perpendicular to floor, then curl back up only till level with left forearm for 7 reps, then repeat on left side.
    • Keep left arm at 90 degree angle.  Curl right arm up to shoulder height, then lower back only till level with left forearm for 7 reps, then repeat on left side.
    • Keep left arm at 90 degree angle.  Lower right arm down till perpendicular to floor, then curl all the way up to shoulder height for 7 reps, then repeat on left side.
Killer diller, dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!