Wednesday, July 13, 2011

REVIEW: Eastside Gym


At the end of May, when I was running around like crazy teaching musical theatre, there was an afternoon where I had a few hours to kill (and no car) between teaching and hanging with a friend.  Being the fitness freak I am, I searched for a gym somewhere in the walking distance.  I found Eastside Gym in Redmond, and called ahead to see if I could come and get a day pass.

I must say, I was impressed!  Here's my point-by-point review.
  • Environment: 4 out of 5.  Depends a little on what you are looking for...nothing fancy about this place.  It's not very big and some of the equipment is a little older, BUT everything is clean, in great shape, and IN THE PROPER PLACE. 
  • Staff: 5 out of 5.  Both the guy I spoke with on the phone and the guy I talked to in person were very polite and helpful.  When I finished my workout, the manager on duty did try to sell me a membership, but was not pushy or rude or smarmy.
  • Affordability: 4 out of 5. 1 year for $200 is pretty killer...that ends up being roughly $16.67 per month
  • Convenience: 5 out of 5.  Technically the gym is open from 6am till 9pm, but if you buy a year long membership, they will GIVE you a key so you can workout whenever you want.
  • Cardio machines: 4 out of 5.  Not a ton of variety here...but the treadmills were actually the nicest I'd ever run on, plus they all face directly out huge windows.  I was in on a sunny day, and they had the door open.  It was a little like running out in downtown Redmond, but without the car fumes.
  • Free weights/weight machines: 4 out of 5.  Again, not the fanciest of equipment, but everything is in good condition, there is a ton of variety in machines and weights, and plenty of room.  I was there at a busy hour and didn't feel crowded or rushed. I also noticed everyone spraying and wiping the benches when they were finished with their set.  Big perk.
  • Stretching/abs area: 1 out of 5.  This was my biggest disappointment at Eastside Gym.  I looked around after my workout to try and find where the stretching/abs mats were.  Finally I saw a rack of medicine balls and a foam roller...right in the main entry outside the office.  I decided I didn't want to risk having my face stepped on just for the privilege of doing a few crunches.
  • Classes/training: N/A.  As far as I can tell, they don't offer classes.  They do offer personal training, but as I didn't do a session or an orientation, I can't really offer an opinion.
  • Locker rooms/bathroom: 3 out of 5.  Small, but very clean and functional.  Only 1 shower, but good mirror space and room for getting dolled up post sweat.
  • Atmosphere/focus factor: 5 out of 5.  This is not the place where overly made-up women chat on their cell phones while toodling around on the elliptical or guys grunt and flex in the mirror for 5 solid minutes between each set.  No one comes around during your workout to bother you about signing up for training or classes or memberships, etc.  If anyone wants to work in with you on a machine, they are very polite and keep mainly to themselves.  Ideal workout conditions, if you ask me.
Final verdict: This is a man's gym.  By that, I mean it's an ideal place for doing some serious strength building with little to no interference.  No frills and silly stuff, just straight to business.  (Frankly, if you're a gal trying to gain cardio endurance and lose fat, lifting weights is one of the best things you can be doing.)  If you live in the Redmond area and are looking for a good, affordable gym, what are you waiting for?  Give them a call and go in for a free trial.  Run your little heart out and pump some iron.  (Just keep both eyes open when you start working your core.)

Manly workout, manly burger/egg sandwich
oogave soda, cheese, fig bar, and
Trader Joe's 72% dark chocolate -
not as manly, but still freakin' awesome

1 comment:

  1. I'm waiting for you to post a Jazzercise review... although I already know what you think! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!