Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Mushroom Haters of the World Unite!

My dear friend Taryn recently posted a mushroom rave preceding her Julia Child recipe.  Sorry to admit it, Tar, but I am one of the mushroom haters against whom you rail.  (Can we still be friends?)

My story is this: as a kid, I loved fruit but hated almost all vegetables (except carrots and cauliflower and artichokes).  My parents (understandably) did not want me to be malnourished, so the rule was, we had to eat all vegetables present...except we could leave out our least favorite.  My choice?  Slimy gross cooked mushrooms.

These days, I am eating (and loving) a huge range of vegetables...never imagined my life would reach this point!  So I decided to give mushrooms another go.  Jared made me this awesome curry with pasta and mushrooms and chicken...and I have to admit, the mushrooms weren't half bad.


To feel jealous that I have someone to cook for me, look at the pictures below and imagine me doing nothing but the dishes afterwards.  To skip feeling jealous and just make this yourself, scroll past the photos to the recipe.

















Mushroom Haters’ Curry
·         2 chicken breasts
·         Olive oil
·         Mushrooms
·         White wine
·         Pasta
·         Peanut butter
·         Curry powder
·         Red pepper flakes
·         Sesame seeds

1.       Chop mushrooms
2.       Combine olive oil, peanut butter, curry powder, and red pepper flakes in a bowl.  Base the amount of each on your preference for texture and spice
3.       Add in sesame seeds for fun
4.       Cook pasta and cook chicken – but not together (you’re on your own for this one, kids)
5.       Drink glass of white wine while waiting (hey, this is an important part of the recipe!)
6.       Saute the mushrooms with some olive oil
7.       Pour the sauce on the mushrooms
8.       Chop up cooked chicken
9.       Combine pasta, chicken, sauce and mushrooms
10.   Shout hooray and eat up

1 comment:

  1. You can't still be a mushroom hater if these "weren't half bad."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!