Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sunburn and Wrinkles and Cancer...Oh, My!

So...a history of melanoma runs in my family.  It practially gallops.  This means while I love being out in the sunshine (and love looking tan), I can't really afford to get my vitamin D through rays unless I want surgery or worse in my future.  Thus in recent years, I've switched from natural tanning freak to SPF police-woman.  (Scary, I know.) 

With summer (at least theoretically for us PNWers) upon us, I am psyched to be setting up my SPF soapbox.  Here's a few products I highly recommend:



I tend to hate sunscreen (most have a yucky smell and slimy feel that scarred me as a child...I've never quite recovered), so I always make sure my moisturizer contains SPF.  I like this one by Neutrogena

And this year, I was delighted to find a sunscreen that I actually look forward to wearing!  Hawaiian Tropic Shimmer Effect has a golden sheen/sparkle to it, and smells AMAZING.  You can use this in place of your regular body lotion. 

(Bring it along when you go out...the trick to great suncare is not the level of SPF so much as the frequency at which it's reapplied throughout your time in the sun.  Apply every few hours...more if you are sweating or swimming.)


I like the Physician's Formula bronzer with SPF because it looks much more natural than most bronzers. 

 No SPF in the CoverGirl mascara, but it is my favorite...plus I find this picture hugely entertaining.

More fave products in the weeks to come.  Happy cancer-free summer!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh. I like the bronzer recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The shimmer effect sunscreen is amazing! Is is worth the extra time to put on over the spray on stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a quote from Arsenic and Old Lace. "Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops!"

    I knew I liked you for a reason.
    Meghan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!