Thursday, April 28, 2011

To Market, To Market, To Buy a Fat Pig

Eat Well

Fitness magazine's got a great list of spring recipes, which inspired me to post about my recent trip to the Issaquah Farmer's Market!

My mom and I (after an awesome Jazzercise workout during which we decided we could never do yoga together since you aren't supposed to talk) were going to run some simple errands when we heard about the first day of the farmer's market!

We are not exactly farmer's market gals.  We are not super green, super organic, or super natural.  But we like hanging out.  We like yummy food.  And folks, in the PNW, we like all the sun we could get.

Plus, at the market there really was a fat pig:



We strolled around and talked and tried balsamic vinegars and amazing jams.  And then I started buying.  I bought a baby baguette, some organic kale, big juicy radishes, some apples (which unfortunately were not so hot), and some uber amazing chipotle lime whole wheat pasta.

Obviously, Jared and I had to make an amazing dinner with some of the spoils.

Jared combined the kale with canadian bacon or ham of some sort and leftover gruyere cheese from our burger making madness:


I cut up the baguette and brie snagged at a killer price from Costco.



I won't tell you how we boiled water to cook the pasta.  There are websites for hard stuff like that.  Once the pasta was magically ready, we added the kale and friends directly to it.



Set the table and we're ready to roll...complete with silverware and vitamins.  Cool beans.



I guess what I am trying to say with all this is...

Go check out your local farmer's market.

You'll be supporting local business, getting fresher food, and be well-rewarded for your efforts:
Seriously.  YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!