Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Grilling is for Girls: REAL SIMPLE Ginger-Scallion Salmon Burgers with Miso Yogurt

 
Welcome back to Adventures in Grilling!
 
This weekend, we had some med school friends treat us to some pickings from their (local, organic) garden!  The haul included some green onions, so of course I knew this was the week for the salmon burger recipe.
 
 
 
I bought most of the ingredients at Trader Joe's, but went to a local hippie grocery store for the salmon...I find that the fish at Trader Joe's isn't always the best.
 
Thankfully I read the recipe ahead of time: these burgers require 30 minutes of chill time in the fridge before grilling.
 
I ignored the first step of the recipe for prepping the carrot slaw.  I went straight to step 2: prepping the burgers.  We're on a money saving kick, so I went with 3/4 lb. of salmon instead of 1 and 1/4 lb.  I kept the rest of the ingredients the same except for the breadcrumbs, of which I used a little less.
 
It took me about 20 minutes all told to prep the burgers, but I had to skin and de-bone my salmon, which probably added a fair chunk of time.
 

 
After I put the salmon patties in the fridge and set the timer for 30 minutes, I went back to step 1: the slaw.  Usually I don't like slaws, but this one was very different and fun.
 
 
 

 
The carrot slaw took me about fifteen minutes to prepare.  I put this in the fridge with the patties and used some of the remaining time to do some of the dishes from prepping the patties and slaw.
 
When there were about 5 minutes left on the timer, I went down to the garage to get the grill!
 
After the grill heated up (Jared helped me start it again), it was time to add the salmon burgers.  Mine were a little smaller since I'd done less salmon, so I went with about 4 minutes per side instead of 5.
 
 Chilling these in the fridge made them hold together really well.  As the burgers were finishing, I toasted the buns for a minute or so on the grill.

Then I put it all together!  I decided not to do miso since we usually avoid soy.  Just the Greek yogurt was delicious on these!

 
Jared ended up eating three of the burgers!  All that studying makes him hungry.

I paired my burger with a pinot grigio.  It was so good with the spicy carrot slaw!


Seriously, if you haven't tried one of these burger recipes yet, you are missing out.  Every burger we eat ends up being my new favorite!

I think next week might be time for the lamb burger.  And who knows?  Maybe I'll even start the grill myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for adding your two cents to The (Megha) Mix!