Then Jared told me that MICF had programmed "Annie" as the day's WOD.
You may recall that one of my year-end goals was a sub-10-minute Annie RX.
I've accomplished one goal so far, but still have four to go, and had been feeling a little discouraged that I'd be able to make them happen in 2012.
My double unders have been getting a lot better, and my core is a lot stronger, so I thought I might be able to tackle it.
I showed up pumped and ready to crush my previous RX time of 14:51 with a 9:59 or better.
The class started out great, with a #15 PR on my Thruster 1 Rep Max - I went from #85 to #100! I felt like I could have gone even heavier, but wanted to really be strong for the WOD. I grabbed my favorite jump rope and a mat for situps, and we got started.
|Me and the red rope in September|
- You start Annie with favorite jump rope, ready to blow your previous time out of the water
- Said favorite jump rope is not working for you as usual
- You wonder what is going on and think maybe you are just having an off day
- Handle of favorite jump rope detaches from rope mid-skip
- You pretend to be a video game character, dodging other frantic athletes to retrieve a new rope
- Time is slipping away quickly so you don't really check to see if new rope is a good length
- It isn't
- The handles of the new rope connect totally differently than your old rope's handles
- You plod through the WOD whipping yourself and tripping yourself, only 1-3 double-unders at a time
- You try to make up on the situps and thankfully stave off total gloom and doom, deciding to at least beat 14:51
- Your round of 20 and 10 situps are kick-butt
- You finish in 14:17, sweaty and kinda pissed
(My arms and left hand are still totally marked up today. I wore long sleeves to the office.)
I went home feeling still proud of my thruster accomplishment, and really proud of myself for being able to keep a fairly positive attitude throughout the WOD. Technically, I still had a PR, and that's never a bad thing. Plus, I feel like if I could only link a few reps at once AND had to stop early on to find a new rope...I can totally beat 10 minutes before January 1st.
I got a ride home from WOD buddy Joel and finished up the evening with an awesome protein-packed dinner: McMuffin on Steroids (or should I say Progenex?) - sourdough English muffin from Trader Joe's, fried egg, turkey bacon, and a leftover hamburger patty.
|As Tina would say, Holy Yum!|
You tell me: Ever had a piece of equipment crush your WOD? Do you have your own rope? Where did you get it? I need recommendations!